In 1938, a 2cm FlaK30 was mounted on the Demag DII 3 a predecessor of the 07. The 07 was built from 1938 to 1944, by various firms, including Mechanische Werke-Cottbus, Saurer, MNH, Bussing- NAG, Adler and Demag. The Zgkw 1t was the earliest self-propelled mounting for the FlaK troops. A special superstructure with folding sides was designed to give room for all-round traverse.
The original vehicles were totally unarmoured, but eventually an armoured cab was provided and an armoured shield was fitted to the 2cm FlaK. A small supply of ammunition was carried in bins attached to the folding sides of the superstructure, but generally, a single-axle ammunition-trailer was towed.
The Sd.Kfz. 10/4 carried the 2 cm FlaK 30 mount on a special platform with fold-down side and rear panels. This platform was specifically designed for the Flak 30 mount and could not readily accept a Flak 38 mount or vice versa. To accommodate the gun mount the vehicle was both wider and taller than normal, namely 2.02 metres (6.6 ft) wide and 2 metres (6.6 ft) and weighed 4,075 kilograms (8,980 lb) empty. Four folding seats were fitted on the platform for the crew. Some of these gun mounts had a gun shield fitted. The ready ammunition bins fastened to the side and rear panels (four on each side and two in the rear) contained one 20-round clip each. It usually towed an ammunition trailer (Sd.Ah. 51 - Sonderanhänger—special single-axle trailer) with 640 more rounds, the gun's sights and its rangefinder.
Vehicles built in 1940 (only) were fitted with removable loading ramps, cable rollers to act as pulleys, and a reinforced tail gate to allow a Flak 30, mounted on a Sd.Ah. 51 trailer, to be quickly dismounted. From 1940 they were fitted with rifle racks over the front fenders and from 1942 these were given sheet metal covers as protection from the weather. Flak 38s were mounted on 10/4s beginning in 1941 although the platform wasn't widened until later. As the war progressed the guns were more often fitted with gun shields.
Issued to the FlaK units of both Luftwaffe and Wehrmacht. An early-war Army anti-aircraft company (Flugabwehr-Kompanie) was organized in three platoons with a total of eighteen Sd.Kfz. 10/4s, twelve with guns and six carrying ammunition.